Mendeley is a tool that helps students and researchers manage citations and PDFs through their desktop client. It is similar to other citation software, like Zotero and EndNote, but uniquely offers social networking capabilities. Meaning, you can connect with researchers in your field, see what they are reading, and join groups that focus on a particular subject interest.
- It’s free, comes with 2 GB of storage
- Importing features are excellent, can easily upload a PDF and Mendeley grabs citation info from it
- Social features encourage researchers to collaborate and share publications to others with similar interests
- Profile features are limited. Cannot link to other profiles and cannot put your past professional experience.
- Cannot create sub-collections in your library
- You web account does not sync automatically with the desktop application.