Academia.edu is a networking tool for researchers and scientists. It allows you to share your research and tag it with keywords you think your desired audience might use. You can “follow” scholars that interest you in order to stay updated on their publications. You can also post updates, blog posts and ‘grey’ literature such as conference papers, reviews or opinion pieces on the site.
Academia.edu also has some analytic tools that will tell you how many people have viewed your profile and what keywords they used to find you.
- It’s easy to use.
- Academia.edu gets high google search results.
- You can link to other external sites (blog, social media).
- It does a great job of linking together academics by institution.
- Ideal for academics just starting (i.e. graduate students).
- Academia.edu can’t integrate directly with your blog, you have to post separately.
- You cannot form interest groups, you can only follow and use tags/keywords.